Monday, September 22, 2008

OVERSEAS FILIPINA WORKERS

The topic of my blog is OVERSEAS FILIPINA WORKERS. I have been familiar with OFW's for about 3 years through my involvement with AnakBayan Seattle, a young adult progressive group back in my hometown. During the Northwest Filipino American Student Alliance Conference at Western Washington University, I attended a workshop on overseas Filipina workers by a female group called Pinay sa Seattle. During that workshop I was taught why so many Filipinos leave the Philippines to work in other countries and along with it how Filipinas were treated. We had an activitity where we were the Filipinas traveling abroad to work and a lot of their stories ended in tragedy, usually in death. It was sad to hear that many of them are abused (physically, mentally, emotionally and sexually) by thier employers.
This is a significant issue because there are so many intersections of race, class, gender and sexuality. In general, there are third world citizens working for the first world people (class and race). The jobs offered are gendered jobs and a lot of women are abused by their employers (gender & sexuality). Those are just some of the intersections.
I am interested in this issue because I want to learn more about what is going in my parent's homeland and I want to know what is going on around the world. A lot of women are being mistreated and I think it is time to change that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

its unfortunate that many wants to work abroad and leave their love ones here . i hope the govt will address this problem ... try this site if your still searching online jobs ...
BUILD YOUR CAREER ONLINE WHILE BEING A FREEMAN
Start working at home and visit us at http://www.unemployedpinoys.com
Pls email me workonline2977@gmail.com